As couples; dating, engaged or married, making decisions together is bound to happen. The successes of these decisions are dependent on them being decisions that are thought through and then made jointly or even by one partner once it is for the good of the relationship and with the knowledge of the other partner. For some couples there is a difficulty of making decisions together. Here are seven practical routes to successful decision making.
1) For the spiritual couples; praying together, asking for guidance on the matter will be beneficial.
2) Gathering information and facts is very important; making informed decisions will work in your favour. The research can be done individually or as a couple. Sharing and discussing what was found, could make decisions easier.
3) Asking family, friends and/or even experts is a good way to go about making some decisions. However, be mindful of getting friends or family members too much in your relationship.
4) Lay the pros and cons on the table. Talk about them before deciding, you don’t want the cons tipping the scale and you end up making a bad decision because you did not do the requisite work in advance.
5) As individuals, make a list of your ideals and values. Then compare them as a couple. In doing so you will be better able to make decisions that both of you can live with.
6) Agree beforehand so that no blame will be placed on your partner if the outcome of this decision is not favourable. The responsibility should be on you both.
7) If the decision is turning out to be too difficult, then it is wise to revisit the decision at a later date. Time should be used to gather more information if needed, and also to think more carefully on the pros and cons before it is reexamined.
I hope you find these tips useful. I am sure I have not exhausted the list to successful decision making. Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and ideas.